Tuesday 2 November 2010

Life would be simpler if I were a Sim..

I know, The Sims is a child's computer game. Mainly for little girls. But it is spectacular at giving you perspective on life. Now I first played the Sims when I was about 10, I think. And I used to stay at my friends house and wake up early just so I could go on it before she did. She was all about the playing families bit, having lots and lots of kids before you get too old. Whereas I liked to build the houses, spend hours on each room making it awesome, then would create one awesome character to live in that house. She always thought I was boring, and I wasn't playing the game properly. And sorry for going all Matrix-y/Truman-showy here, but that is literally life. It's not a game, but it is about how you play it. Louise, that cute little 9 year old girl who used to name every woman Tina and carried Little Teddy with her everywhere is now 19 and 8 and a half months tubby as hell. I'm currently deciding if 4 hours on the train is worth seeing her baby boy come into the world. Put into words like that, I don't know why I haven't booked the ticket already. But she is about to pop one out, and if she can survive this, her little boy grows up well and her mother doesn't ruin both their lives, she will undoubtedly be popping out another one before I've even started having babies. Whereas I'm at Uni, I'm trying to build my future and focus on myself, and yeah I want kids, yeah I really want to get married, but sometimes you've got to take time into consideration. I was, and still am slightly, convinced that my ex-boyfriend would be the guy I'd marry. There's something about us that I would say yes to. But I threw it away. I threw him away. I know its crass, but I can't stay with him because we might get married - that is years from now. I need to live for myself, for right now, and I don't want to be the one that regrets her life when shes 40 and alone. If I get to 40 and am still alone... well, I've got a couple back-ups. But still. Whats the point in regretting things - life is too short. I wanna do right by me now, and not by some suit-wearing arrogant boy. So I'm living my life as if I were a Sim, being played with by me. Because my characters are awesome. Its time I started being awesome too.