Thursday 19 May 2011

Travels of the Little Norfolker...

(written on 13 May 2011, at 01.19a.m. Dubai time)

So, I'm in Dubai International Airport. This place is so bizarre, I can't quite get a handle on it. Its absolutely massive - entire floors and fountains dotted around that 15% of people traveling through will see. One massive long terminal (3), which never ends. 26 minutes to walk from center to one end. Why does Dubai have a Burger King (be it Halal), and Gatwick doesn't?

Everytime I see a female Muslim, in full Burqa, I think for half a second that I'm playing a video game like assassin's creed, and she's actually a ninja. I know that its a racist, and frankly ignorant, first thought, but I'm so new to this culture: to be the minority, seeing 'prayer room' below the direction sign for toilets; and having an entire section of the terminal dedicated solely to Gold jewellery. Madness.

Oh yeah, this place is so big it even has a zoo-like plant-based water feature bam in the center of the food court. There's also a travellator about 20 feet long, and a hotel at either end of the terminal.

Flying in I saw the Dubai skyline slightly: I found it more rewarding than seeing the New York skyline for the first time: I think because the plane came in to the coast, we got a good view, where as in NY it was all a bit disappointing unless on Brooklyn Bridge or Staten Island Ferry, neither of which I did at night. It's 32 degrees celcius outside. I have never been in a country where their night time temperature is higher than the typical British summertime temps. I remember the first night in Vegas being warm, but not this warm!

Watching the plane journey on satellite. I travelled 3726km so far. I realised just how close to Iran Dubai (or just the UAE) actually is. Slightly scary to think about it, but this city just feels like a billionaire's wet dream, so I guess the people to be scared of probably funded this place, or at least the ridiculous fountains. Drinking a smoothie, called Apple Cooler, which is made of apple, strawberry and orange, but frankly just tastes of orange. False advertising, that is. I have eight hours to kill. I think I'll eat my first ever Halal burger, then try to sleep...