Saturday 25 February 2012

We Are Young

I can't help but here these songs and think about the feeling of life being open, anything being attainable, all dreams are possible and there is nothing but yourself holding you back. I've been thinking about this a lot recently - not to quote Shakespeare, but thinking of what dreams may come. What might be different in one year, five years, ten years? Will I know when it is that I want to have children? Will I know what job I want to do for the rest of my life when I'm in it, or will I always want something new, something different, something to keep me in my toes. Or will that itchy-feet-syndrome die down in time? I can't tell; I'll not know until the time comes, and that is both scary and good because it means I can put those worries to the back of my mind and focus on right now. I am young - we are young - in so many ways. I have dreams of finding adrenaline highs, and I am still in the first third of my life expectancy, and I have so much more to do, to live, to feel, to enjoy and to see. But you can't just grab at it all at once - our hands aren't big enough. Prioritising what to do first, what counts the most, and what I truly want first is my current agenda. I want to go back to school, but I don't know what to do. I want to earn money and pay of debts, but I also want to go traveling, my big USA trip being one of the many things, and that also takes money. Most of all, I want to be me. I want to follow my heart and my dreams, I want to live my life the way I want to - screw the rest of the world - and I want to not have to listen to what everyone thinks is right and wrong. I am my own definition of life. I do not need to answer to anyone anymore. I make my own decisions, I do what I can and I embrace what I have. I have spent the last nine months learning so much about myself that uni never could have taught me, and the experience has been priceless, but now I know enough to know that I'm moving on. The next chapter in my life is just around the corner, and I'm so excited to start it, because I know that it will lead on to much bigger things. My life has barely started - but I say bring it on. Throw it at me, give me what you've got, because I am ready and I am fucking eager to get this shit started. I am going to be exactly who I want to be, and by this time next year my life is going to be totally different, I know that for a fact.

So keep your eyes peeled, kids - something beautiful is happening.