Monday 25 February 2013

Freaking Girls

LOL at the mash-up of titles.

I'm watching Freaks and Geeks, half-way through the only season. Shall report back when finished.

Girls is very inspiring. I like Lena Dunham, enough to realise that I don't 'love' her. Like, she's not your typical female icon, idol or role model, in that she hasn't done anything particularly note-worthy (she's no Princess Di) and she's not amazing pretty, skinny or fashionable to render her into that category of 'I may be stupid and useless but at least I look good' - she's just so normal. She's the every-girl. She's 20-something, curvy in the wrong places, likes to show off her chunky thighs, flabby bum and gnat-bite boobs. She's pretty fearless (or at least, appears it) and writes about sex, relationships, friendships and gender in such an open, new, all-encompassing way which I kind of wish I could do. I take it on face value that Girls is very similar to her own life, and therefore I imagine that the things which are told are in fact mini-biopics of her past: she actually did date a guy called Adam who made her watch as he wanked. But that may not have happened; the way she tells it, the way we recognise Hannah as such a normal person, makes you believe it's true.

I love the characters. Jessa, Marnie and Shoshanna are all so similar to people I know, yet completely individual. None of this Sex and the City bullshit of 'which one are you? you can only be one, because they are all so different, and obviously, the female gender can be broken down into four distinctive sub-categories'. Jessa shits on sub-categories. Shoshanna is like an adorable version of Rhianmor circa 2008/2009. Its incredible listening to conversations on a TV show that I've had in real life. GOD I LOVE GIRLS.

[Note, I am not a lesbian, 'Girls' refers only to the TV show, not the young female homo-sapiens]

I've got lists everywhere. Lists of what to read, what to watch, what to buy next, what to watch after I've watched those things on my list, what to want to read, what to hope, aspire toward, dream of....

I am a list machine. Is there a career in that?