Monday 21 February 2011

Shakespeare must have had cracking dreams

Right, so this entry is in fact a 'dream entry', but I want to start with something else. They say (they being some cambridge scholar types who like to come up with statistics about classic novels) that the most commonly misunderstood line in the English speaking world is "romeo romeo, where for art thou romeo?" - which doesn't mean "romeo, where are you?", it means "romeo, why is your name romeo" (relating to him being a Montague, a family which her own are in a sort of 'battle' with). But another quote that people don't get annoys me. 

To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Now, this (frankly brilliant) quote comes from Hamlet's 'to be or not to be' soliloquy, which most figure out, 
talks about the difference between life and death. And people think that "to sleep, perchance to dream" is a 
phrase about how mystical and fab dreams are. A girl I know even got this tattooed on her wrist (with the 
wrong act and scene numbers, hilariously). But its about the 'mortal coil' of life - that if sleep is a metaphor 
for death, - imagine the 'dreams', or visions of heaven, hell, purgatory etc, that lie beyond death. Shakespeare
also wrote a lot about his own mortality, and I think its the greatest education a 16 year old can get. Don't 
worry about your own life, worry about what you can leave in this world that might last an extra 70 years, or 
in Shakespeare's case, 400 years. That's kind of why I want to be a writer.
 
Anyway, from one great mind to... well, mine, which doesn't compare to Shakespeare's. My dream. Wow.
 
Firstly, I was with a few people - I remember Martin, Maria and Santa being there. Possibly Lucy and Carlo,
but not entirely sure. We'd all decided to walk together to this big uni event - it was like a special lecture or
something. Anyway, we were late. I think because we all stopped to get cookies. And we saw, being late, that
almost the entire uni faculty and students were there. This blonde, tall woman (looked a lot like Fenner to be
blunt) was giving this enigmatic talk that they were all totally sucked into. And then I saw someone from class,
I want to say it was Macina, but I'm not sure, and he totally blanked all of us, came out of the room, got some
water, and went back in. He was basically brain washed. We realised this woman was evil, but as soon as we 
realised, the doors burst open and people started swarming out - we ran and hid in a really small room, that
had a door at either end, so we could get away if needed. And as we crouched in there, I saw Matt walk past.
It dawned on me that not everyone would be brain washed, so we opened the second door and found
Rhianmor and Sophie, both looking really confused. They said they were fine, but the next place they were 
headed to would definitely brain wash any of the unaffected people. They hid with us, and then we saw the 
the 'army of Fenners' - there were about 12 of them, all taking people off into smaller groups. Sophie wanted
to find Matt, and Maria wanted to find weapons, so I snuck out and followed the women to their office-like
room. Morris and Marc, two lecturers least likely to be found at uni, were captured, and giving information
about the goings-on of the uni. I waited until blonde gits had left, then found a kitchenette with a knife block -
weapons! So stocked up, also found a black baseball bat, and it fitted perfectly into my lara croft-style belt.
Untied marc and morris, but a woman came in - did a perfect throw with the knife, got her right between the
eyes, and she fell forward, revealing two people behind her - the money, basically. They said they thought 
something was fishy, and ran. Morris followed them, and I ask Marc to take me to each room, so I could 
save our friends. We saw most of the class, except Matt, in one room, but continued searching, found the
room Matt was in, and Marc entered being all 'playing the part'. It was a lecture theatre, so he went in the 
main door, and I sneaked in the top door at the back, and basically snuck Matt out without causing a ruckus.
I gave Matt a massive knife, and he happened to have this weird flail-like weapon too - we bust open the first 
room with most of class in and went MENTAL. Like, blonde gits dying everywhere. Some class members ran,
others were too brain washed, so fought back. I had to kill Bowring (what a shame) and Liam was doing kung
fu on half the fiction writers. Oh, and Adam and Kerry had turned too, but were holding Coates hostage. Matt
almost killed him, but my excellent throwing of knives got Adam in the neck, so Matt flailed Kerry's face and
we ran. But then there were loads of little kids, and I think we just fought blondies for ages. The dream kind 
of ends here - but we had to sleep at one point, and Maria had found a massive supply of potatoes, so she 
boiled them up and we had a pretty good dinner, and Matt stayed up to guard as we slept. Random.
  
Next dream: we had a class project to write a new reality tv show. Nothing very exciting happened. Next 
thing I know, my dad is driving me home, and he's towing a burger van. We're on this massive road, and a 
van has overtaken someone, and is basically inches from hitting us, and gets past. I freak out, but dad is fine. 
Then it happens again, but this time with a lorry, so dad kind of drives off the road. But then there is a massive
que of traffic, and the thing headed for us is an american-style truck (like optimus prime's car), so he swerves
massively and the van unhooks and goes flying. He can't control the car though, so we spin off onto a field. I 
run away, and see this tree that has a rope. I start climbing, and beyond the hill is a guy parked in a lay-by, and
I recognize him, but from another dream. I walk over and he offers me a ride to his, so I can clean up. But, this
is where it gets weird. This family is weird: mother and father, two sons, and a daughter and her husband.
They all know who I am - I was in a plot that killed their other son, Daniel. But the son I'm with, Jared, was 
part of the plot too, so he doesn't care. The daughter wants to kill me, but her husband secretly paid Jared to
kill Daniel. The other son, I think he was called Jimmy, doesn't say much, but is basically Ethan Hawke. He 
talks about the fucked up things he's done in life - from being a CIA guy following Uri Orlov, to having two
romantic nights in europe, to going into space and his best friend burning alive. Odd. But Jared wants us to 'be 
alone' and I'm convinced he's going to try kill me, so we're on this bed, and he's putting the moves on, but I'm 
ignoring it, waiting for him to strike. Turns out he doesn't want to kill me, but his parents do, so he's trying to
give them a reason to not kill me - he pretends to be in love with me. I remember my dad's car crash and want
to get back to him, but the parents won't let me leave the house. Then it turns kinda Salt-ish, because I reveal
that I'd pretended to be in love with Daniel before I killed him. Jared says he knows - he was going to do the 
same thing. His sister found out what her husband had done, so paid Jared to take me out. I realise that this is
because I was the first person the husband was ever with - and daniel had got in the way because he thought 
I was only around because of him. I eventually do some weird-ass kicking of faces, shimmy up a rope onto the
roof, see the tree from before and run like hell. My dream kept telling a deeper story - like I had had all these 
dreams before - and I know Jared's face. I can't place him, and his name definitely isn't Jared, but god, it was 
weird. And the mother kept called me a whore, because I'd slept with all of her sons. Don't know when I'd 
been with Jimmy/Ethan, but hey. Weird!
 
And yes, that was all one night's worth of dreaming. Crazy. I should really set an alarm: sleeping til 12 makes 
my head do funny things!