Sunday 29 April 2012

Dirty Girls


Yesterday, I was driving home from work with an old friend in the car. I've known her since I was 8 and she was 7, she's sort of like a cousin to me, and she loves singing loudly to music when we're traveling to and from work. My normal iPod is broken, and so I'm using my gym iPod instead, which has a tiny memory and therefore not much on it, and I haven't had the chance to change my music so all that's on it is the music I work out to - either rock with a steady beat like Muse or Paramore, or dancey-pop songs like Justin Timberlake, Britney, and Girls Aloud, as seen above. Now Hanna-li doesn't like or know the better music, so we spent the two hour journey listening to pop. It was strange, because I never really listen to it anymore, so hearing Girls Aloud's early albums took me back a bit, and made me remember how new I was to music when they came out, and I secretly loved Sound of the Underground.

Their second album, What Will The Neighbours Say, had a few classic tunes, a few boring album fillers, and a few really unexpected songs. Graffiti My Soul, above, is one of the latter. It has this dirty guitar in the background that pulls it out of the 'cheesey young-teen pop' category into a much more respectful 'actual song with people playing instruments', despite the five-piece of skin, bone and make-up that sing it. I was listening to it, and I realised that one of the lines sounds like it says "it's procreation and nothing more". This may not actually be the line, but if I heard it, many others probably did too, and thats just wrong. This live footage shows how ridiculously sex is sold to society now. A girl band's main audience should be pre and young teenagers, mainly female, and little else. Maybe a pervy dad here and there. But girls aloud has a HUGE male audience, not really paying much attention, just watching their videos, and some sick fuck knows that, so likes to give all those guys something to watch, whilst the girlband perform for the young fans. Those young fans see the skinny legs, the school-girl get-up, the bad dancing that wants to be dirtier and quicker but clearly can't be for their singing's sake, and the songs that are just about sex and all things un-christian, and those young girls want to become them.

I've become intolerant with blatant social control. The government needs to sort it out, because we've got a huge population of idiot teenagers who fuck like rabbits without protection and it won't stop. This country is going down the pan, and I want to get out, as fast as I can, and build my life somewhere else.

In the meantime, I'll be in Norfolk until September 2013, because I just got accepted to do an MA at the UEA in Film, Television and Creative Process. Very exciting times ahead. Bring on September!