Thursday 18 April 2013

If Music Be the Food of Love, Play On.

Music is in my head all day long. Every car journey I take, I surround myself with my music. Sometimes my dreams have soundtracks, or just one song, which plays in my head as I dream. So over the years, I have associated certain songs with certain people. Not just like 'this one time I was listening to this song and thought of this person so now I call it 'our song'' - no no. These are songs that always, no matter what the situation, make me think of that person. And they always will, because the association can never be broken, only replaced by a stronger association. And so, another list begins:


Evanescence - My Immortal: Helen. She played in non stop one christmas holiday. I also can't hear Viva La Vida because she overplayed that too. Thanks.

Backstreet Boys - Poster Girl: Charlie. When we were in California/Nevada, on greyhounds for hours, and she told me that the few albums I'd put on her tiny pink iPod mini was all she had to listen to, but she really liked the new BSB album. I was so happy, and it reminds me of the sunshine on the West Coast now.

Robbie Williams - Feel: James. Such a cool dude, he loves the Robbie. I love him for that.

System of a Down - Chop Suey / BYOB / Cigaro: Sam. Just us drunkenly singing. Our car trips, our late night shenanigans. Also, Thnks Fr Th Mmrs by Fall Out Boy, and a couple MCR songs always remind me of our youth.

(on that note) Fall Out Boy - Sugar We're Going Down: Kristy. I think we sang it every day for a month. And then the rest of the class heard it, and we were like 'bitch please that is so last month'. LOL.

(thinking about it, not many other songs directly remind of people from school. weird.)

Feeder - High: Barnaby. His favourite song, I'd always listen to it on my way to see him. Makes me think of the warm summer evenings, my moped, the 580 bus, and his dog Jasper.

Rhianna - Umbrella: Shane. Sounds weird, but because they did a cover of the song, and it was one of the best five minutes of all time: the heavens opened, poured, and I just smiled up at him and his best mates on stage. 

Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger / Biffy Clyro - Mountains / The Killers - Mr Brightside: Ben. Also, slightly weirdly, some songs from the high school musical films (we watched them together a lot). Also, any other killers or fratellis song. Also, I still get a little lump in my throat when I'm caught off-guard by these songs. 

30 Seconds to Mars - From Yesterday / Puddle of Mudd - She Hates Me / The Darkness - I Believe in a Thing Called Love / Limp Bizkit - Rollin': Matt. For the karaoke, obviously, and with From Yesterday, I don't entirely know why. I think it's his favourite 30stm song? But either way, always makes me think of him, every single time.

Death Cab for Cutie - Follow Me into the Dark (/any song) / Charlie Simpson - All At Once: Martin. Oh, and 'I've got five on it', whoever that's by. Makes me smile when I hear them. I guess that's a good thing? Also the Dawson's Creek themes (yes, both of them). 

The Proclaimers - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles): Al. Big Gay Al. Also 'are you gonna be my girl', and bloodhound gang - bad touch. Worrying that I hear that song and think of him, right?

Take That - Shine: Coates. 

(Most of these are influenced by karaoke, yes, but we did go every week for like two year, or something absurd. I heard the same songs being sang by the same boys A LOT.)

Kenny Loggins - Footloose / the 'what a feeling' song from flashdance / Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up / Micheal Jackson - Thriller / Billie Jean / etc: Reflex nights. So much hilarious dancing. Filming Macina dancing to Jacko. Me, Sophie and Joanne pelting across the dancefloor when footloose came on. The limbo game. The tacky dancers. Oh, it all comes screaming back, and I love it. Also, memories of necking vodka red bull and/or jaeger bombs. Yum.

David Bowie - Life on Mars (+Ashes to Ashes) / A-Ha - Take On Me / Ultravox - Vienna / Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow: Sophie. Also, the theme to Jonathan Creek. Driving to Bournemouth, BEP's was the big summer song, and was possibly in our heads all day? Either way, always brings back memories.

That song by Delilah / That dubstep track with the dirty drop / SO MANY SONGS: Maria. So much music was heard from her room over the years, it's hard to think of each song, but whenever I hear those random songs she'd play at full blast first thing, when I'd be casually sitting in the living room eating breakfast, or when we'd tidy the burlington flat, or just any time, I just remember smells and colours, happiness and love. It's so strange, as its not really a specific memory, but it is my memory working in the weirdest way. And I love it. No matter how far apart we are, I can hear those songs and remember so much good stuff, and it cheers me up. I guess thats how friendships could survive before skype was invented! Either way, more so than anyone else, she's got ownership over so many songs in my memory.


Despite having been hanging out together for all our lives, there's not one song I can think of that reminds me of Howarth. How bizarre.


Music is such a strong tool, and I hope that whenever people are reminded of me when they listen to songs, its good things that they remember, not my awful singing.