Wednesday 24 August 2011

I believe in nothing but the beating of our hearts

'Trust', I believe, is highly misconceived. It isn't actually about truth at all: trust is the word which defines an unspoken bond, when you give someone a piece of your heart, and in return, they will protect it as much as is physically and humanly possible. People often mistake trust for honesty, but the major difference is, if you trust someone completely then you never question the validity and truth of some moments, because you know that whatever the truth, what they tell you is all said and done with your heart in mind.

A relationship with no trust is like a game of catch: it's just a matter of time before a heart slips and breaks.

I truly and deeply trust a handful of people: my closest friends, of whom know who they are, I trust to lie to me if it's the best thing for me to hear. I trust them to protect me from things I'm better off not knowing. I trust people to purposefully hide the truth from me, because sometimes, brutal honesty is the most painful thing you can experience. When someone stabs you in the back, that's bad, but if a friend tells you the next day that someone else stabbed you in the back, it hurts even more than finding out on your own terms.

Honesty is very much over-rated. Children and animals are the only truly honest creatures. We adults, who live and work and play in this twisted, controlled society, have obscured the real meaning of trust, honesty, loyalty and true friendship.