Thursday 11 August 2011

I put my brain on a piece of paper...

Today I re-read my diary from when I was 18. I like to reflect on my life sometimes, as it helps my mind focus on who I am and how I got here, rather than where I want to be. When people focus too much on the future, I think they lose a sense of being and living in the moment.  An apt quote, even if from a ridiculously immature (yet hilarious) film:

                                You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive.

Sometimes I want to be different. There is so much about my life, my being, my body and my brain that I wish was different. But reading my diary, and realising how slowly but surely I am changing into someone better, cleverer and slightly more capable is refreshing. Nothing worth doing is ever easy, or quick, or simple. In fact, most things that are worth achieving will knock you down a peg or too, you'll face obstacles and difficulties that you never imagined would occur: you feel like the whole universe is trying to stop you getting to where you want to be. But pursuing, and getting your knees dirty along the way is what makes it worth it. That is what makes us who we are, and defines us: not what we have achieved, but what we have conquered. Facing fears is something that I wish I could do every day. So go, remember who you are and face your biggest fears, because only then will you truly feel your soul glowing.