Sunday 9 June 2013

Perceptions

I've been watching a show called 'Perception' this week. Season 1 is only ten episodes long, and season 2 starts at the end of June. It's a show about a doctor who is both a neurobiologist, and a paranoid schizophrenic. And he helps an FBI agent solve bizarre mysteries and things. Its a little bit like Fringe, a little bit like X-Files, but so much lighter and happier than both those shows. Its sunny, and its not about government conspiracies and horrendous things like that; its more about how we cope as people from day to day, and the weird things our brains can do.

Doctor Daniel Pierce is played by Eric McCormack aka Will Truman from Will and Grace. And his FBI friend, Kate Moretti, is played by Rachel Leigh Cook aka the girl from She's All That, and Pierce's most frequent imaginary visitor is a girl called Natalie, played by Kelly Rowan aka Kirsten Cohen in The OC. But, here's the odd thing - Pierce is older than Moretti, as she's an old student of his (at university) and to show his age more, McCormack has a good bit of rough facial hair going on. It makes him look like a strange mix between David Duchovny (as Hank Moody) and Mark Ruffalo. But McCormack must be going through the same thing that Duchovny went through - fear of always being labelled by the one big show, so now that there is another successful show, one must appear differently, to avoid the connections and associations always made with the previous role. For both actors, apparently this is solved by growing facial hair, as if their former selves were incapable.

I've got a couple of films to watch, also about 'imaginary' people, and then I will watch Dexter.

Unfortunately, my dissertation seems to be happening at the same time as everything else in the world. The parents have a new business venture - the Bungay and Waveney Valley Golf Club, for one, and also their repeating need to work less because Dad is too old and broken, means that I'm working a lot more for them, and I've only got a couple more weekends at the Rumsey before I leave, and I'm still at uni every tuesday morning for counselling, which is unearthing lots of things but not making me feel any less broken, or any more content with who I am. And the more busy I am, the more I want to break away. Just get away, drive somewhere. Last weekend, watching the sun rise with Chris at 4am, freezing cold on Lowestoft beach, I realised that the reason we'd got there is because it's as far as I can drive, eastward. I wish I could just keep driving. I've been to the corners of the UK (admittedly, having not seen most of the middle stuff), and knowing how far away Devon, Edinburgh, Aberystwyth and Brighton are, it's not enough. I need to go further. I itch to get out.

Pending news about Sam's return in October. Watch this space.

Hope for my future is being confused with knowledge of the immediate future.

Ben's drama with ladies is making it hard to see him without content. I can be his friend, but when he just ignores my advice and then complains about his situation again the next day, I can't do much more for him, so now I just want it to be over. I can't be the one to spill the beans, because it's not my place to do so. But I need him as a friend right now, and he's not being a very good one, and its getting harder, day by day.

And then Helen phones me, and I'm even more confused.

And then I have a dream and I'm even more confused than before. After all of this, after everything's been said and done, am I actually not over him yet? Or is there something else in store for us. Is my psychic mind ringing in the next idea, or am I just stuck in a groove thinking about him again.

I'm bringing this up with the counsellor this week.


If there's no one beside you when your soul embarks, then I'll follow you into the dark.