Wednesday 28 September 2011

Confess your love as well as your folly

Moving forward from the first guy I ever liked to the age of 15, before my life truly started. We used to holiday in Gran Canaria every October half term, as it was cheap and nice heat and the parents enjoyed it as much as the kids did. One year, when I was fourteen I think, there were a lot of 'us kids'. Me and Louise (my unrelated little sister), Rachel (family friend, slightly younger than me) and Billi (slightly older than me, has ever since been nicknamed Billi BJ), Jessie (Jackie's daughter, 4 years younger than me) and Lucy (Jackie's neace, my age), Will (family friend, slightly older) and Kel (will's friend). This was by far the most dramatic of all the Gran Canaria trips. The year before Me, Louise, Rachel, Jessie and Will had all attended, including my sister Charlie, her best friends Martie and Katie, My brother James and Will's brother Tom. But those guys were too old, so now it was our time to go out the latest and get into the most trouble for missing curfew and being drunk (woo! fourteen is the new eighteen...)

Anyway, long story short, Rachel and I both fancied Will and new this about each other, but it was Lucy who got with him during the holiday. This lead to a very obvious divide, and then one night Billi gave a DJ head in the toilets, drank something that was spiked and did some kind of epic run home up the 700+ steps to our hotel, with me, Louise and Rachel in hot pursuit, Lucy not caring, Will carrying my shoes (because despite the gross local cats, I knew it was the fastest way home) and then our attempt to cure Billie without adults stirring being useless, Margaret got involved, couldn't do much, so went back to bed, and I was trying to help Billie, Louise fell asleep whilst sat under a table (drunk for the first time, I think) and Rachel has disappeared... possibly to throw up... I had to help Billie to throw up, which was charming, and quickly resulted in my first ever exclamation of "I'll never drink again!". Oh how many times I've said that.

Anyway, that exciting night aside, I then barely saw Will until March of the next year, I was about to turn 15 and we were at a family friend's funeral. Very emotional times, many many people had far too much to drink, and I ended up getting very drunk and unable to move from a chair. I demanded that Ben find Will, as I needed to tell him something. I can barely remember the next few hours of my life, but through the dark, patchy images I remember telling Will that I really fancied him, and he laughed and told me I was drunk. This was not the reaction I was hoping for. I then got slightly upset at said lack of reaction, and somehow a bizarre kiss started between myself and Ben, the unrelated brother who I've known my entire life. Weird. I also remember some family, namely sisters, witnessing said event and making many comments to me, to which I replied "I'm really fucking drunk.... what's happening?" and quickly learned that this is a good technique to use when trying to shun responsibility and admittance to embarrassing moments. Since then, I have very rarely seen Will - when I have, I haven't said much, but it's not awkward or weird. It's just finding what to say to someone you haven't seen for years after that's happened...