Sunday 18 September 2011

Why does love always feel like a battlefield?

Today, I'm feeling a certain warmth for music. I love a few songs at the moment, and they are a constant must-have on my youtube playlist.

The first, Loverboy, is the first single from You Me At Six's new album. I've always liked their pop-melodies over a good guitar and base, but for the first time I'm actually listening to them properly. This new album has a lot of hype, so I'm very excited about it's release. They're playing a few gigs, the nearest being in Southampton, but I've decided to not go, because the other two artists aren't that great, and frankly, I'm hoping they'll do a full album tour soon, and come to Brighton.

The second artist is always Charlie Simpson, but which song varies daily. His album (which I've yet to receive) has some corkers on it, namely Parachutes and Farmer and His Gun, but the thing with Charlie is, he can take any song at all and make it his own. Umbrella, Died in Your Arms Tonight, and my personal favourite, Battlefield, are stunning covers of heartless pop songs, which he just adds so much emotion to.

This, I find, really encapsulates everything I love about Glee. I know people mock it, and I'm not saying that it's the best thing in the world, but to all those people who do mock it, if you actually tucked your tail between your legs and watched an episode, you'd realise that the show takes the piss out of itself, and happily mocks the same things that you do. Ranting aside, I genuinely believe that Glee's version of Like A Prayer is better than the original. It makes me so happy, like I should have the mantra of Carpe Diem or something... It evokes things that Madonna's original just doesn't for me. I don't know if this is because I was never part of the Madonna-era, but I just don't get her songs sometimes. Vogue - what the fuck?

A few more songs have really caught my eye - or should I say ears - recently. 30 Seconds To Mars, joint favourite band of all time next to Muse, have a little-known album track called Alibi. Struck a chord with me, it truly did. Also, their cover of Bad Romance is unbelievable, as is their now very famous cover of Kanye West's Stronger. Jared, quite like Charlie Simpson, can change a song completely. One of the many reasons I'm slightly in love with him. Marry You is my current cute-song, introduced to me by Glee, it's a pick-me-up when there is no chocolate in the house. In an ode to the end of summer, Good Life is one of the most summery songs I've heard in a while, but I've stopped listening to it to embrace the Autumnal weather, which is best depicted by the rough voice of Mumford and Sons. Or, for those beautiful clear days, when the sea looks turquoise and the wind encourages people to get stuff done, Angels and Airwaves can really put you in the right mood.

I want to fill my ears with music. I want to lay in bed all day listening to the best possible music, and just breathe, and be inspired. My writing tends to stem from two things: music and dreams. Dreams aren't as interesting anymore - too many real-life problems, and too many unresolved issues just keep churning away in my brain, leaving no room for creativity or spackiness. Today, I will write. I will listen, I will dwell, and I will submerge myself into an artist whom I haven't listened to recently, creating what I can only describe as a "fresh wound"; a new way to perceive the song's meaning, a new way to read into that one profound line, a new way to hear it. And from there, something magical will occur.