Thursday 26 January 2012

Knowing your fate must suck some days

First off, I'm ploughing through Smallville at super-speed, should be finishing season 10 before the end of next week! Probably before sunday, at my pace today! It's taken me around a year, with uni, a job, lack of internet and just forgetting to watch it getting in the way, but I'm almost there now - the end is in sight - and it's been quite a journey. It's amazing how much 'life advice' they pack into this show. If you ever have a problem, Smallville has the answer - just finding it in the 200+ episodes may take some time. Oh well, time well spent, I'd say!

Early this morning my brother left for a ten week tour of Afghanistan. He recently was told that he got a job in Holland, so this may be his last tour in the middle east, which is some what of a relief, but not until he makes it home from this one. I always get this feeling, when he's out there, like "shit, what is the last thing I said to him?" - in films, people have amazing memories of their last moments with people, and I always fear that I might lose someone and not remember my last moment with them. I also get this weird feeling, whenever he returns, like "what was I worrying about?", yet the time creeps back around and this tiny panic bomb is ticking. Every time I hear a news update on the radio, I listen a little more closely. Every time my phone rings, and I see it's Mum or Dad, I imagine the worst, and they're calling to pass on the news. But then I answer, and Mum just can't remember how to upload photos onto Ebay. The thing is, he comes home, and doesn't describe the things he's seen to me, so I have no clue. He gets drunk with my sister's best friend's step-mother (get your head around that one) and confesses all his woes to her, but I don't know anything about it, so this ingrained panic and fear for my sibling's life is lost in translation, or lack there of, and it's really quite annoying.

So here's praying he makes it home, one last time. And then he can fuck off to the Netherlands and stop bugging me.