Saturday 20 July 2013

Imperfections

I have a scar on my left shoulder from where I picked at a spot years ago.

I have three moles on my belly that make a line.

I have a scar on my right thigh from the swordfish oil spitting.

I have a scar on my left forearm that only I can see; its very faint, but I know its there, still visible.

I have a skin tag on the right hand side of my neck, but its too far back for me to see.

I have a couple of horrible red marks from ingrowing hairs from when I last epilated: one on my right underarm, one at the top of my right thigh.


There are things about myself that I don't like, and I wish I could change. But this is a list of things that are different. All these affects, these 'imperfections', are things that I cannot change, or actively chose not to (the skin tag, I'm told, can be removed, but I've never been bothered enough to do so). These 'imperfections' are things about my body that are not attractive or endearing, but I have learned to live with and through the knowledge that I cannot change them, have let them become part of who I am. We all have scars, marks and holes in our bodies, but that's what makes us unique. I may not be a different person from having had some swordfish oil burn through my tights and onto my thigh, no - but I equally would not be ashamed of the scar, try to cover it or hide it or spend time effort and money having it removed - because I have come to learn what might be a type of self-acceptance, in its most minor form.

Memories within us cannot be projected outward physically; yet scars are the bodies memories. So most of my 'imperfections' are reminders of what I once did, and who I once was, and all I need to remember is that that version of me was not perfect, and neither is this version of me today, but I know that today I am a better, cleverer, more caring and more thoughtful person than I was then. Scars remind me of self-improvement, so I will never get rid of them.