Wednesday 24 July 2013

Number Nine

I believed that you were my biggest mistake; that you were the one thing I did wrong and I needed to try correct it in any way possible. I always wanted to protect you; I wanted to take away your pain and anger, your frustration, your insecurities and your problems. Not that I wanted to 'fix' you, because to me you were always the perfect version of you - I just wanted to help you, and make you happy. I don't know what I was ever fighting against or fighting for, because upon reflection, it was me that I needed to protect you from: it was me that caused pain and anger, frustration and insecurities. And I'm really sorry about that. I never wanted to hurt you, and its taken me five years to realise what you really meant to me.

If your happiness is being with her, then I cannot fault that decision. That's all I ever wanted to achieve: to make you happy. But I guess you might actually be happier without me; without me in your life, poking my nose in, asking questions and making your friends and girlfriend feel uncomfortable.


I wrote a short about you. About you and me, about our friendship. And it made everything better, it made me feel less sad about not knowing you anymore, because at least I have the memories that I do, and nothing can ever destroy that. So I plan to make that short script into a short film; not to do anything with, specifically, but just to have in my archive, as a little ode to my memory of you, and I hope that you can understand that.

You are the most interesting, hilarious and ridiculous person I met at uni. I could write a list of more entertaining people on the back of a postage stamp. And for that reason, many of my characters are inspired by you, in one way or another. I hope you can take that as a compliment.